Monday, June 18, 2007

Feasting with Family

Tried something yesterday that I've wanted to do since I first read about it in a magazine many years ago. Cousin Bobbi wrote about it on her blog awhile back, and I got her recipe. I thought our Father's day gathering would be a good time to try it. We liked it well enough, I just think I needed 2 spice bags instead of 1, and next time I'll make garlic butter for the dipping.
Here's the recipe Bobbi sent:
Seafood Boil
Boil 8 small red potatoes, 4 ears of frozen corn on the cob, 1 onion, and 4-5 garlic cloves with a crab/shrimp spice packet for 30 minutes. After the first 15 minutes of boiling, add 1/2 lb andouille sausage links, chopped. The last 5 minutes of boiling time, add 1 lb shrimp. After 30 minutes of boiling time has elapsed, remove large pot from heat and cover with a lid. Let it sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes, then pour out liquid. Put the seafood boil on jelly roll pan covered with paper sacks to absorb the remaining liquid. You can also add crawfish, crab legs, or lobster tails. Serve with melted butter and lots of napkins. No utensils required, just use your fingers.
We obviously tripled the recipe, which is why I should have had another spice bag. The corn did have a nice "zip" to it, though. :o)

1 comment:

Bobbi and Kurt said...

Garlic butter would be good. I never thought of that. McCormick's spice bags are much better than the other brands, and much harder to find. I have added Essence of Emeril's or Old Bay seasoning to the water before. That makes it a bit more flavorful. For people born in Nebraska, it is funny we enjoy seafood so much.