Monday, February 23, 2009

Fat Tuesday's Pancakes

We don't have a tradition of celebrating Fat Tuesday, but it was a good chance to have breakfast for supper. :o)

When I was in high school, I worked as a waitress/hostess at the Village Inn Pancake House out on the I-80/Hwy 81 interchange. It was there that I first tasted real maple syrup. I worked ther for four and a half years, and it took several years after that before I could stand the thought of eating pancakes or smelling maple syrup again. I will admit that VI has THE BEST pancakes of anyplace. I've never tried to replicate them, but can tell you that the secret to their lightness is whipped egg whites. Oh, and I only buy real maple syrup.

Once the kids were born, I started making Bisquick pancakes. After having the best pancakes of anyplace, these left a lot to be desired. Eventually I dug out the Betty Crocker cookbook I purchased a few weeks after we were married, and started making them from scratch. They were much better than Bisquick.

Several years ago when I started changing many of our foods to the muli or whole grain versions, and started using this variation of the BC pancake recipe. They're a bit denser than regular pancakes, really soak up the syrup, and are especially good with chopped pecans in the middle.

Oatmeal Pancakes (I call them multi-grain...)

1 egg

1/2 C quick cooking oats (I've also used regular oats and it was fine)

1/2 C whole wheat flour

3/4 C milk

2 TBS veg oil

1 TBS honey

3 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

Beat egg w/ mixer til fluffy; beat in remaining ingredients just until smooth. Grease heated griddle if necessary. (I use a cast iron skillet, but I do spray it the first time w/ cooking spray.)

Pour batter onto hot griddle and cook until puffed and dry around the edges. If adding fruit or nuts, sprinkle them on as soon as you pour the batter.

Turn and cook other side until golden brown.



Most usually when I make these, I at least double the recipe (it triples and quadruples well, too) and cool, then freeze the leftover pancakes, 2 to a freezer zipper bag. They reheat in the toaster or microwave quite nicely.

Serve with real maple syrup. (Really - it's worth the cost.)





1 comment:

Kay said...

OK, I'm laughing at myself for thinking I was so smart tonight. My waffle recipe is VERY similar (is your pancake recipe from a pink-colored cookbook?) and my dh doesn't really care for whole-wheat waffles that it calls for.
So in my quest for more whole grains in our diet, I buzzed 1/2 cup of oatmeal in the mini FP and substituted it for part of the regular flour.
We both really liked it. A bit of substance to the waffles without being heavy.

Great Minds!

PS VI at the exit with the big water tower painted like a hot air balloon? :oD