Thursday, January 1, 2009

Chicken Paprikash

Okay, I don't know how to pronounce it, but I know it sure tastes good!
This recipe for chicken paprikash is from my email friend, Joanne. It's an old family recipe that her grandmother used to prepare.
Traditionally this dish uses bone-in chicken pieces. The night I made it, I was using what was on-hand, so it boneless, skinless breasts it was. A few other adaptations were made, and I'll note those, but the final dish was delicious.

CHICKEN PAPRIKASH
Chicken pieces (boneless, skinless breasts)
Sweet Hungarian paprika (about 1 to 2 tablespoons) (Spanish paprika - all I had)
Butter (about 1/4 cup) (olive oil w/ little bit of butter)
Onion (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup minced)
Water (about 1 to 2 cups) (homemade chicken stock - no bouillion cube)
Chicken bouillon cube
Flour (about 2 tablespoons)
Sour cream (about 1 cup)
Melt the butter in a pan and brown the chicken parts on both sides.
Add the onion and paprika and turn the chicken pieces to cover all sides with the paprika.
Add the water and the bouillon cube.
Cover the pan and simmer on a low heat until the chicken is very tender (we usually like it when it almost falls apart when you touch it, but that's how my grandmother's always was so it's what we're used to). I think I usually leave it cooking about 20 to 30 minutes.
Add more paprika and salt to taste, and add more water during cooking if it seems to be getting too dry and sticking to the pan.
Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. Add a small amount of water to the flour to form a paste and add this to the liquid in the pan. Heat and stir until thickened. Add the sour cream and stir to heat.
Add the chicken back to the pan, stir all together, and serve over noodles or rice.

No comments: