Sunday, November 11, 2007

Banana Bread

Yesterday I noticed a bag of bananas in the freezer that was dated in August, so I thought I'd best thaw it and make some bread. Banana bread is something I learned to bake in my pre-teen years, and it always reminds me of my mom. She always included banana bread in her Christmas baking, and I remember having it for breakfast with a cup of hot chocolate during the winter.
The recipe I use is from the Betty Crocker cookbook I bought just a few weeks after Greg and I got married. You can see it's been well-used. :o)
Banana Nut Bread
2 1/2 Cups flour
1/2 Cup granulated sugar
1/2 Cup brown sugar
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 Tbs. vegetable oil
1/3 Cup milk
1 egg
1 1/2 C mashed banana
1 Cup chopped nuts
Heat oven to 350. Grease bottom only of loaf pan. Mix all ingredients; beat 30 seconds. Pour into pans. Bake 60-70 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle of loaf comes out clean. Cool slightly. Loosen sides of bread from loaf pan. Remove from pan. Cool completely before slicing. To store, wrap and refrigerate for up to one week.

This loaf was really good. It didn't make it to storage, but I'll make more.


No comments: