Thursday, June 10, 2010

Mediterranean Herb Paste

Supper tonight was a small pork loin on the grill. Greg does lots of rubs and we have a small selection of bbq sauces that we use often with pork, but I wanted something a little different to go with the brown & wild rice we were also having. A quick perusal of my recipe files found this herb paste that I think I got from the Herb Companion web site last summer.

Since we’re somewhat into our gardening season finally, I do have these fresh herbs growing in the back yard. As usual, it was a kick to go outside and cut the herbs as I needed them.

I had a 1.12 lb pork loin to cook on the grill. Just covered the top of the loin with some of this paste, then Greg grilled it for about 25 minutes over medium indirect heat.

Mediterranean Herb Paste
By Pat Crocker
Makes 3/4 cup
Make and use this in several different dishes in a week. It can form the
basis for a vinaigrette dressing, soup, dips, spreads and even be used as a
flavoring for savory muffins and scones.
. 10 garlic cloves
. ½ cup fresh sage leaves, chopped
. ½ cup fresh thyme leaves
. ¼ cup fresh rosemary leaves, snipped
. 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
. 1 tablespoon sea salt
. ¼ cup olive oil
. 1 tablespoon tarragon or white wine vinegar
1. Pulse garlic in food processor 3 or 4 times or until garlic is finely
chopped. Add sage, thyme and rosemary; pulse 3 or 4 times until finely
chopped. Add mustard and salt; pulse until blended.
2. Gradually add 3 tablespoons oil, processing until blended. Add vinegar
and remaining olive oil and process until blended.

This smells amazing! It was good on the loin – I think I would marinate the meat with it overnight next time so more of the flavor is absorbed.

There is about half of the recipe left, so I thought I’d mix it with some fresh mozzarella and slice some tomatoes for a salad. I’ll let you know how that goes…

No comments: