Thursday, October 30, 2008

Cream Cheese Mints

One of my favorite tasty tidbits to go along with wedding cake is cream cheese mints. We're having anniversary cake this weekend, so this week I made three batches of dough, and one afternoon, Greg's mom, Jan, and her friend, Rose came over to make mints.
They're really easy to make, and it doesn't take long to have several hundred done. Here's how we did it:
1 - 8 ounce package of cream cheese (do not use reduced fat or fat-free)
2 pounds confectioner's (powdered) sugar
1/4 tsp. flavoring (I used peppermint. If you use flavored oils, use lots less.)
To mix the dough, I used my kitchen mixer and dough hook. Start out on the very slowest speed and keep a spatula handy to use to keep the powdered sugar inside the bowl. It will want to spill over the edge.
When the dough starts to come together, you can increase the speed of the mixer.
Once there is no more loose powdered sugar, I stop the mixer and turn the dough out onto the counter. Knead briefly.
Now it's time to color the dough. You want to use paste/gel coloring. The liquid will make your dough sticky. Use a toothpick to put the coloring on the dough. Remember that like paint, food coloring gets darker as it dries.
Knead in the color until all streaks disappear. (I wore gloves to keep my hands from being colored, too.)
Once you're happy with the color, put the dough in an airtight container and chill in the frig. (I left it while I ate a little lunch and worked on another craft for an hour or so.)
Now it's time to mold the mints. You'll need granulated sugar and mint molds. (The gray molds in this photo are the same ones used for my wedding mints 27 1/2 years ago.)
Pinch off a small piece of dough. Try to make it approximately the size of the mold, but you can always add a little more, or pull some off if necessary.
Roll the ball in the sugar, this will keep the dough from sticking.
Then press into the mold.
I like to push it in, then use my thumbs to smooth out the bottom of the mint.
Turn the mint out onto waxed paper.Let dry for several hours, then turn over and let the underside dry for a few more hours.Pack in an airtight container, between layers of waxed paper. These freeze well.
Now go make some and enjoy!

2 comments:

Kay said...

HA! Xtra-Touch (aka Kitchen Klatter) Flavoring! I know these very well. :o)

Rhonda said...

My mom makes these mints too and they are so tasty!

This batch you just made even look like the ones she made for my peach and green 1980 wedding.